Friday, July 9, 2010

i dream of lambrusco

I wasn't entirely sure I even knew what Lambrusco was until I dreamt about it last night. Go figure. To further prove this point, the Lambrusco of my dreams was white. But regardless, the bottle was clearly labeled, in all caps: LAMBRUSCO. As to when and where that varietal inadvertently entered my brain and stuck, I couldn't tell you. But since I'm one of those people who often reads into their dreams (some would argue too much*), I couldn't help but take this as a sign: I shall try Lambrusco.

After a quick Cork'd search, I came up with the following info:

"Lambrusco is a red wine grape of Italy, as well as the name of an Italian wine made primarily from the same grape. It is used in Italy primarily to make dry or slightly sweet sparkling wine. The grape is prone to making several clones, so that now there really is no singular Lambrusco grape. Researchers have found there to be 60 different clones throughout various regions of Italy. Would the real Lambrusco please stand up?"

So here's my proposal: Since the weather has been uncomfortably hot, sticky, and down right unbearable, head straight to the cheese shop and pick up some charcuterie and perhaps some olive tapenade and baguette. Prosciutto, they say, goes particularly well with Lambrusco as Parma is one of the areas the grape originated. Wrap a few thin slices of buttery prosciutto around cold pieces of melon, pop a pleasantly chilled bottle of sparkling Lambrusco, and you've got the makings for a pretty fine little evening.

I can assure you I will be promptly taking my own advice.

Cheers.

*It should also be noted that I recently had a dream in which I had twins and kept dropping them on their heads. But I suppose, that's neither here nor there (or anywhere for that matter).

3 comments:

katie said...

And all this time that you were tweeting about Lambrusco, I thought you were intending to roast some lamb.

Kiira Leess said...

laughing out loud.

Anonymous said...

"60 Lambrusco clones?" Here's more on this subject: http://www.lambruscoday.org/true-or-false.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails