Wednesday, July 21, 2010

weekend dinner party

M.I.A. is an understatement and I am well aware. Nor am I happy about it. As most of you know, I'm amidst the much dreaded task of trying to find a new place to live. And in New York City, that equates to the most miserable, painful, and stressful task imaginable. Tears? None left. Maximum budget? Not going to cut it. Not in this town. Renter's market? Seemingly no longer. If you start to notice me suggesting alternate uses for a can of barbecued beans, you have permission to shake me silly (if not physically then verbally). But be forewarned. Because it could happen. All too easily.

That said, let's throw all caution to the wind and throw a dinner party! God knows I could use a break from weeding through Craigslist and every real estate website and Classified section that exists on the World Wide Web. And I'm not sure there's any better way to throw your arms up in the air and say "F it" than with a steak sandwich. I deserve it. You deserve it. You hear that NYC real estate market? I'm ova you. And on to a soft, crusty roll filled with sliced steak infused with ginger, garlic, and chile, some sriracha aioli and a quick kimchi with a shaved carrot and cucumber salad and sweet potato oven fries along side. Crack open a cold beer, take a manly swig and get ready to unwind. The thought alone just made me sink into my chair, head dangling back, with a stupid grin. I need a vacation.

Oh and for dessert? How about a peach-prosecco popsicle? Because it's just TOO. DAMN. HOT.

This feels therapeutic. Here's your menu. I love you guys.

korean-style steak sandwiches with sriracha aioli and quick kimchi
shaved carrot and cucumber salad
sweet potato oven fries

peach-prosecco popsicles

Use this recipe for Korean-Style Grilled Flank Steak from Gourmet. For the sriracha aioli, simply stir in as much or as little sriracha your mouth can handle and brighten it up with a little fresh lime zest and juice. Done. Making the quick kimchi is totally optional but it's also totally authentic and impressive. It's up to you. Here's a great, simple recipe but feel free to forego it and just dress your steak sandwich with some Bibb lettuce instead. I won't be mad. Sweet potato oven fries could not be easier and they never disappoint (please feel free to omit grill seasoning and just go with coarse salt and pepper). I'm embellishing this shaved carrot salad recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart, with the addition of cucumber. Take a vegetable peeler to a cucumber or two and make ribbons out of it (as soon as you get to the watery seeds stop and start peeling the other side).

Thinly slice the Korean-Style Grilled Flank Steak and serve up a generous amount on a soft, lightly toasted hoagie roll with a dab of the sriracha aioli, and a spoonful of the quick kimchi. Serve alongside the shaved carrot and cucumber salad and sweet potato oven fries. No words.

And a peach-prosecco popsicle has never been a more appropriate ending. Enjoy!

Image above courtesy of Fine Cooking

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails