Friday, February 13, 2009

dogmatic gourmet sausage systems


Now, everyday when lunchtime rolls around, I entertain the idea of actually leaving Chelsea Market and venturing outside for a special treat. Perhaps taking the short stroll over to Bonsignour and treating myself to my favorite warm goat cheese salad and a side of John Krasinski. But, no. It has become increasingly rare that I ever leave this building until I'm dragging myself home at the end of the day.

However, when I heard about a little place called the Dogmatic Gourmet Sausage Systems over in the Union Square area, I literally flew out of my cubicle, pressed the elevator down button so aggressively, so many times I feared I'd get stuck between the 2nd and 1st floors, and booked it across town. Needless to say, by the time I got there after the 5 avenue block dash, I was panting in my order.

Dogmatic Sausage was once a food cart that gained such a loyal following, they decided to open up shop in a tiny little space on E17th St. The sausages (which btw, are hormone, nitrate, and antibiotic FREE) come in beef, chicken, lamb, pork, and turkey (or asparagus spears for you veg-heads) and are inserted into a warm, hollowed out mini baguette courtesy of Pain D'Avignon and are then joined by the sauce of your choice: Cheddar Jalapeno, Horseradish Mustard, Truffle Gruyere, Chimichurri, Sun Dried Tomato Feta, or Mint Yogurt.

On this particular day, I went for the chicken sausage with the Chimichurri sauce and let me just say, I think it lasted half an avenue block on my trek back to the office. To my credit, they do run on the fairly small side, but the flavor and texture from this thing kind of kicked my butt. And I'm not even a huge sausage fan (yeah, I get it)! The casing-free sausage was smokey and salty and the chimichurri was so bright, tangy, vibrant, and pungent from the garlic and herbs (parsley, garlic, lime, and perhaps some mint) that it just made you smile with every bite. And when you get to the bottom of the perfectly crunchy yet soft baguette, you're left with a sausage-less bite. No complaints here. Just a little nub of bread appropriately drenched with the garlicky herb sauce. With Diet Coke in hand, I think I may or may not have floated back to work with a stupid grin on my face.

If you're in the area, grab a dog. At $4.50 a pop they're a pretty great lunch (or quick dinner) deal and the flavor combinations this place is rocking are pretty sophisticated.

Hey, Michelle.

Dogmatic Gourmet Sausage System
26 E17th St.
http://eatdogmatic.com/

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails