Wednesday, November 10, 2010

weekend dinner party

How's this for an unintentionally prejudiced conundrum: I don't particularly care for Indian curry but I love, love, love Thai curry. There it is. Out in the open. I can't explain it. But I can make an educated guess that it has something to do with the addition of cumin (A spice that I unfortunately cannot stand behind--literally). This inopportune opposition has led to a tragically limited number of Indian food experiences. My excuse is always that I'm not in the mood. But really, I think it's got a whole lot more to do with a reverse Pavlovian-type response I have to cumin-scented curry along with the lack of a clear, rational mind.

So, in an effort to take the fragrant bull by the horns, this weekend's dinner party menu showcases an Indian-themed spread. The combination of my sweet cousin, Aly (seen below), who's living in India for the semester and my Indian-food-loving Swedish cousin, Renée, who's coming to visit this weekend, provided me with all the inspiration I needed. And when I started clicking through Aly's unbelievable photos documenting her adventures and simultaneously sifting through the cilantro, mint, cucumber, yogurt, and garam-masala flecked recipes, I started to realize just how irrational my alleged fear is and how excited I am to start exploring by means of shoving face with these delectable dishes.

chicken masala
jasmine rice
cucumber raita
curried carrot salad with currants and mint
pomegranate spritzers with lime


RECIPES:

Chicken Masala

Cucumber Raita

Curried Carrot Salad

Pomegranate Spritzers: Equal parts POM pomegranate juice and seltzer and top with a squeeze of lime. For an alcoholic version, a splash of vodka can be added.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails