Monday, December 7, 2009

sunday night dinner


My Aunt Kari has a tradition every Sunday which is spaghetti with homemade meat sauce. A no frills, comfort-driven meal that leaves empty plates, happy stomachs, and smiling diners. A tradition that I'm promoting to all.

We all know by now, my love of the Sunday Night Dinner ritual. For me, it's an opportunity to try out a new recipe I've been pining and get together with friends. But last night, after a failed attempt to pick up Christmas decorations at Ikea (damn you, Elizabeth, NJ location), and biting cold weather, the answer was crystal clear: spaghetti with meatballs. Mor-Mor's meatballs.

I whipped up a triple batch (and froze lots) of the meatballs while a can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes simmered away on the stove with slivered garlic, a dash of red pepper flakes, parsley stems (removed before serving) and a whole bunch of torn basil. Guests walked in, spaghetti went into a big pot of boiling water, and everyone's glass was filled with wine. A generous dollop of fresh ricotta cheese to swirl around in the spaghetti is an almost obligatory addition. At least at my table.

Simple, classic, and cozy we were warmed up (perhaps via some/lots of cab) and certainly well fed in no time.

Even the Italian present was praising the meal.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails