Wednesday, December 29, 2010

weekend dinner party: new years

I've got the dress. Ohh, do I have the dress. The jewelry has been carefully selected. The shoes? The shoes are currently up in the air. I'm fairly certain I know how I'll wear my hair, though. And I've finally nailed the perfect shade of demure red lipstick. Yup. I'm-a be lookin' fine this New Years Eve.

Did I mention I have no intention on leaving my apartment?

C'mon, what's the point? Besides I just made the decision, just this very moment, on the shoes and they will, in fact, be suede. And you'd have to be living under a rock to not know about the current state of the New York City streets right now. Three foot snow banks and slush, slush, slush plus suede? A recipe for absolute disaster.

So, I'm staying indoors. Dressed to the nines. With good--no, great--friends, a steady supply of effervescent bubbles, and a menu that will just bring you to tears. Or your knees. Okay, so you'll be on your knees, tears streaming down your face.

In a good way, of course.

Now, I cannot take all the credit for the culmination of this menu (hats off to my uber-talented and master of all things delicious, Aunt Kari) as I served only as a sound board contributor. But as Kari rattled off what she served for Christmas, I was, more or less, freaking out. Really freaking out. Antsy foot-tapping, mouth agape, sitting on the edge of my seat, ready to just absolutely burst. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" was the only way I knew how to respond.

Kari wasn't kidding.

sliced baguette with sweet butter, smoked mackerel, and watercress
Aquavit

blood orange, mint, and torn mozzarella salad
amarone osso bucco with cranberry gremolata
pappardelle with truffle butter
Amarone or Brunello di Montalcino

bubbles (this is dessert)
Lucien Albrecht Crémant d'Alsace Brut Rosé NV

Now bust out those champagne flutes. Happy, Happy New Year to you all!

recipes

For the smoked mackerel hors d'oeuvres, slice a crusty baguette on the bias into rounds. Spread each piece with softened sweet butter then top with flaked smoked mackerel (you can find it at Whole Foods) and some watercress. Done. Divine.

Amarone Osso Bucco (Serve with torn pappardelle tossed with truffle butter, salt, and pepper)

2 comments:

The Healthy Apple said...

Sounds delicious; Happy New Year. I love your blog; keep up the great work in 2011!

Kiira Leess said...

Thanks for the comment! Cheers ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails