Sunday, December 5, 2010

pomegranate-lime-basil cocktail

I'm typically not one for cocktails. Sure, there's the occasional mojito when I'm on vacation or margarita on the rocks when it's been a hideously bad day, but beyond that, wine or light beer are typically my poisons of choice (used responsibly, of course). But if/when I am in the mood for something with a bit more of a backbone, I figure I might as well take it as an opportunity to balance out the bad with a healthy dose of good. Confused? Alright, I'm taking about pomegranate juice. Pomegranate juice and vodka, that is.

The pomegranate is a super-food. It's totally jacked up with all sorts of vitamins and antioxidants and immunity-boosters and, to top it all off, is incidentally delicious. Slightly pucker-y but balanced by a welcomed punch of sweetness, it's almost thick with silkiness. I like to treat my POM juice like a concentrate of sorts. Take, for example, my non-alcoholic pomegranate spritzers (dash of Pom juice with some seltzer and a squeeze of lime). Or, in this case, my pomegranate-lime-basil martini. It only takes a little bit of Pom juice in order for it to subtly yet strongly (I realize we're facing a slight oxymoron here, but bear with me) make its presence known. And I don't think you need me to remind you that it's all about the subtleties.

Oh, it is so all about the subtleties.

And to carry along with that ever-important life lesson, the rest of this "recipe" comes together quite effortlessly. And I mean that. This is the cocktail for the cocktail-phobic. No cocktail shaker? Yeah, me neither. No problem. Make these individually. Fill a tumbler-sized glass with some ice* and add in a jigger (shot glass portion) of vodka and a jigger of Pom juice. Squeeze in a wedge or two of lime, one or two basil leaves, loosely torn, and then top off the glass with some seltzer water. Give it a quick stir, sneak a test sip for balance and then smile. You can feel good it about this drink. It's got antioxidants and...y'know...good stuff.

Cheers, darlin'.

*If you really want to go all out, make lime-flavored ice cubes by squeezing plenty of limes into some water then pouring the lime water into an ice cube tray. Before freezing, add a little slice of lime to each cube. Freeze until solid and there isn't a sad soul on this earth who wouldn't be impressed and equally charmed by this crafty gesture.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails