Wednesday, December 8, 2010

weekend dinner party

I just recently purchased my very first lottery ticket. Why, you ask? I've long since passed my 18th Birthday and I'm not particularly "lucky" when it comes to winning things, regardless of how great the odds (my younger sister was the one blessed with the luck gene). But if there's one life lesson I've come to realize and in turn, highly respect, it's if not now, when? Carpe Diem, man. Or should I say mon? Because once I've won the lottery, I'm going back to Jamaica. Booking an ocean-front, cliff-hanging villa at The Rockhouse and staying put for a few weeks. And when I've exhausted the life of leisure (hilariously impossible), I'll up and jet off somewhere else. Anywhere else I please.

I'm going to win the lottery and travel my pants off.

In the meantime, I'm bringing Jamaica to me this weekend with a menu straight from the beaches of Negril. So invite a couple of your favorite people over and stock up the fridge with Red Stripes. We're straight up stickin' it to the winter weather with this tropical spread.

smoked marlin dip with sweet potato chips
Spanish Sparkling Rosé (see image below)

steamed snapper with ginger, lime, and cilantro
coconut rice
sauteed callaloo
New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc

jamaican banana cake


RECIPES:

sauteed callaloo (substitute a combination of kale and spinach for the callaloo)

Coconut Rice
Recipe Courtesy of Yours Truly
Serves 4, generously

4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (about 2 cans, supplement any shortcomings with water)
1 3-inch nub of peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon salted butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups of white rice
cilantro for garnishing

In a medium-sized pot, add the coconut milk, ginger, and butter, and bring to a boil. Add in the rice, stir, put the lid on and turn down the heat to low. Set the timer for 18 minutes and allow to cook, untouched. After 18 minutes, stir any excess liquid sitting at the top into the rice (it should be very creamy) and taste for seasoning. Place in a large bowl and top with plenty of fresh cilantro.

Image above of The Rockhouse courtesy of Wonderfelle

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails