Tuesday, January 25, 2011

after + before

Playing around with the Instagram App on some pictures I snapped of dinner this past weekend and I can't decide which I prefer. The unadulterated versions (seen below) or the ones put through a filter. They certainly do a good job of masking the imperfections (of which there are many) in the steak plate shot. In fact, it's masking so much it's almost hard to tell what it is you're looking at.

But hey, if anything, that's what I'm here for.

An impromptu dinner party was whipped up in a matter of minutes on Saturday night. Really, because that's just how I do. Remember that coconut braised beef I was flipping out over? Well, this was my quick-fix version. And I'm afraid to say that it just might have been better than the real deal. Instead of braising beef chuck for hours in the fantastically fragrant coconut sauce, I made the sauce on its own and allowed it to simmer for a half hour or so. Then I seared off a flank steak which had quickly marinated in garlic, ginger and soy. Sushi rice went into the rice maker, a splash of orange juice was reduced with fresh ginger then whisked with oil and a few red pepper flakes for salad dressing. At the sound of the buzzer, vodka was poured over ice and quickly followed by a splash of pineapple juice and topped off with seltzer and a squeeze of fresh lime. Cheers. Clink. Sip. And as soon as our hunger started to kick in (shortly thereafter, I assure you), the steak was thinly sliced and fanned out over a spoonful of rice, generously covered in the decadently rich and racy coconut sauce and topped with roughly chopped cilantro. Bibb lettuce gently tossed in the orange-chili-ginger dressing, snuggled up seductively alongside.

After dinner, I briefly left the room to take a phone call. When I returned, the table was empty and there were two people (who shall remain nameless) in the kitchen, hovering over the stove, spoons in hand, just absolutely going to town on the remains of the coconut sauce.

So, again, the recipe is here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails