Monday, August 17, 2009

summer is my happy place

After a much needed weekend of straight up gorgeousness at the beach with friends, I'm once again sitting here wishing I possessed magical time travel powers that allowed me to press rewind. But until I get my button fixed, onward I go into this next week with happy memories of incessant sunshine and saltwater. And I can smile about that.

So with Summer on the brain (and body and soul and stomach) I'm thinking this week needs to be filled fresh, cool food that pays serious homage to this fine season. And what better way to celebrate the bounties of Summer than with some fresh sweet corn? Well maybe the addition of a good ole Weber grill, a bottle of Hawaiian Tropic Tanning Oil, and a cooler filled with ice cold brews. But hey, plain old corn will certainly suffice.

Go ahead and pick up of a few ears and steam 'em up. For you purists, your job now is just to enjoy. But for those of you who want to be a little more adventuresome, I say cut the kernels off the cob and put them into a medium sized bowl. Add some finely chopped red onion, a good squeeze of lime juice, a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a ton of freshly torn basil. And when you stick your fork in that bowl to steal a taste for seasoning, the only word that's going to pop into your mind is "Summer." Oh and holy deliciousness, thank you, Kiira.

You're welcome.

That corn salad alongside some grilled steak, chicken, or shrimp or sitting shotgun to some brown rice and black beans for the veggies, and just like that, dinner's served. And how will I enjoy it? Spooned on top of some crisp lettuce, a little chopped avocado, and campari tomatoes and this girl's all set.

Get creative. I know you can. And as always, enjoy it.

1 comment:

Arax-Rae Van Buren said...

is the "h" in homage silent in this context?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails