Tuesday, March 9, 2010

balsamic roasted salmon

Today is one of those days when I don't even have time to come up for air. So I will most unfortunately make this brief with a promise for more to come...later!

Salmon is my fish of choice yet one I rarely get to indulge in when I'm footing the bill. But after a quick trip to Whole Foods, I allowed myself a sliver of Norwegian salmon by making a deal with myself: no more extraneous purchases. Which meant whatever was getting served up alongside had to be already in my possession. Except for some fresh herbs of course...

I marinated the salmon for an hour or so in some balsamic, garlic, and olive oil then onto a piece of parchment it went and into a hot oven. I would've broiled it to get some crazy, dark, gorgeous color on it, but quite frankly, I don't trust my broiler. Fifteen minutes at 400 and it was perfect.

As for a side dish, I knew I had some whole wheat, yolk free egg noodles (seek these out! they're by ronzoni and I highly recommend. great source of fiber and you can't taste the difference.) so I threw some into a pot of boiling water then tossed them with a ton of fresh chopped parsley, lemon zest, and a grated clove of garlic. A drizzle of olive oil, a small dollop of lite sour cream, and plenty of salt and pepper and that's done. A quick salad of baby greens dressed with white balsamic vinaigrette was thrown together and my fabulous and I mean fabulous Oscar-watching (and worthy) dinner was complete.


After a much-anticipated trip to Chambers Street Wines, I left with a bottle of this. The label and price both reeled me in but sadly this tasted like extremely watered down Mott's Apple Juice. Pass.

Great tip for when you're cooking for yourself: Instead of dirtying up a bunch of bowls, work directly in whatever container you'll be storing your leftovers in. I used a big tupperware container and made my egg noodles directly in there. Saves you clean-up time in a big way.

And you want to talk about the leftovers? I took the rest of the salmon, flaked it over some baby greens with some sliced avocado and tossed it with some more vinaigrette. Simple, easy, and I'm smiling just thinking about it.

Now, back to tackling my inbox.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails