Tuesday, September 8, 2009

end of summer pesto


I'm not really going to address the Summer coming to an end but I will say that I was staring lovingly at an over sized pot of herbs on our outdoor patio table and knew that it was time. Time to trim off whatever was still gorgeous and time to make something out of it. Snip, snip, snip to the basil, mint, parsley, and chives to make my ode to the final days of Summer with an inspired pesto. I finely chopped all the herbs by hand and added in a finely diced shallot, some garlic, a dash of dijon mustard, a splash of white balsamic, and healthy glug of olive oil. After seasoning with salt and pepper, I tasted, smiled, and went back to snapping pictures of all things bright and happy. As for the use of the pesto, I mean, there's really no end. My favorite use? Toast up some pieces of bread (preferably baguette or ciabatta), smear a dollop of fresh ricotta and top with a drizzle of the pesto. Lovely. Really, really lovely.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails