Monday, July 13, 2009

monday meal planning

Is this Summer wrecking havoc on anyone else's wallet? Good God, I am feeling utterly depleted on the monetary front and it's causing stress. That said, this week's grocery store run will be extraordinarily minimal. Using up what I have on hand (this is when you'll be thanking me for the heads up on utilizing your freezer) and re-stocking the must have staples (fresh produce). If I can swing it, I'm going to try and recreate the coconut brown rice and black beans from the 4th of July Cuban spread as I have both brown rice and a can of black beans already on hand. With the addition of a red onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and chili powder the black beans will be set and then I'll experiment with a make-shift coconut rice by bringing a combination of coconut milk and water to a boil before the brown rice takes a plunge. I typically also have a hunk of ginger in my freezer so, fingers crossed, if that's in there, a generous piece will be added to boil away with the liquids, lending its lovely, pronounced aroma. With fresh cilantro on top, I'll forget all about my current financial woes and will (hopefully) feel like I'm on a vacation outside of my own head. Because for the time being, that's about as far away as I'm getting.

THE LIST (ya know, if you're following along)

1 red bell pepper
1 large red onion
1 bunch cilantro
box of baby greens (iceberg is crazy cheap, might even go with that since I can double it up as the lettuce on work week sandwiches and it's quite good shredded up with some of the rice and beans as well; cool, crispy, crunchy)

1 can black beans
1 can unsweetened, lite coconut milk

1 lb. thinly sliced (turkey, ham, roast beef, whatevs)

hearty, multigrain bread

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails