Tuesday, April 7, 2009

easter for grown-ups (does that include me?)


Now way back when, many Easters past, I was a sick little girl. All day long I was stuck in bed with a nasty stomach bug (which also was and still remains one of my greatest fears) while my younger sister got to enjoy the spring holiday with my family. Now of course the Easter Bunny still visited a young under-the-weather me with a basket filled with a chocolate covered Easter Bunny, jelly beans, malt balls, and more. And what happened? I now have some sort of Pavlovian response to these foods. The sight alone of them kind of makes me ill as I recount that one awful Easter that I couldn't hold food down.

Fast forward, oh, 15+ years or so and I still steer clear but I do love being on the receiving end of the gift giving. Yeah, I'll admit it. So an Artisanal Easter Basket would do just the trick! Ahh, j'aime la fromage!

And should that not be by my bedside table on Sunday morning, ehh, well, fine. Because our Easter spread is one of my favorite holiday meals of the year. Grilled rack of lamb with a rosemary-garlic balsamic reduction drizzle, potato fennel gratin, grilled asparagus, and a large salad of baby greens and fresh herbs with a dijon shallot vinaigrette. And my mom's Russian cream (think panna cotta with sour cream) with fresh raspberry sauce on top is the cool, creamy, and bright finish that you would expect on a Sunday late afternoon with the trees bursting with the first signs of Spring and Lily of the Valleys pushing their way up and out of the ground, surrounded by those you love.

As long as the Peeps are kept far, far away.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails