Monday, April 13, 2009

easter: what kitchen?

So for Easter this year, we faced a challenge. A rather large challenge, really. Dinner for four of grilled leg of lamb with a rosemary-garlic balsamic reduction, potato fennel gratin, grilled asparagus with truffle oil, a large salad of baby greens dressed with a dijon-shallot vinaigrette, and Russian Cream with raspberries for dessert. Oh, and we were kitchen-less. Yup. Kitchen, dining room, gutted. My mom's house is currently under serious construction that's design has been "in the works" for oh, 15 years or so. No big deal. Was that going to stop me from making this feast a reality? Psh. Not a chance.

With a gas grill, a hot plate, and an extra plug-in convection oven, we were set. And you know what? It came together rather smoothly and I'm pretty sure my mom and I had quite the time bopping around the spacious new "kitchen."

I'm just going to go ahead and let the pictures do most of the talking.
The workable kitchen space in its current state.

Sautéing the fennel and onions on the grill.


Potato-fennel gratin all ready to go into the oven.


Gratins bubbling away in oven.



Balsamic Reduction infused with rosemary and smashed garlic cloves.


Rub for the butterflied leg of lamb: garlic, rosemary, SALT, pepper, olive oil.


Lamb and asparagus grilling.

The table.

A glass or Rosé stirred with a sprig of rosemary.


The spread.

My overfilled plate.

Russian Cream with Raspberry Sauce (the picture does not do this justice).

I don't know what else to say other than toot, toot. Everything came out better than it ever has in years past. And maybe it was because we knew that it had been a feat. But I don't even think that's why.

Just goes to show that where there's a will (determined food lovers) there is, and will always be, a spectacularly yummy way.

2 comments:

Arax-Rae Van Buren said...

even though I am still full from my Easter feast yesterday, I'm ready to do it all over again after seeing these pictures, Kiira style of course... and just when I thought I could never eat again!

Sarah said...

can i hire you to make easter next year? looks amaaaazing kiira. and now i'm hungry

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails