Tuesday, February 23, 2010

2008 Saumur Blanc Réserve des Vignerons

Seems I've been having quite a few "mind-blowing" experiences as of late. And for that, I say thank God. Nothing brings you back to life (after sickness and general bummed out-ness) like some food and drink that straight up rock your face off.

I mean that, of course, in the best way possible.

Cut to the 2008 Saumur Blanc Réserve des Vignerons Chenin Blanc. Exclusively sold at Astor Wines, I picked up this gorgeous bottle this past Sunday during my first trip to the infamous wine and spirits shop. It should be noted that this place, in and of itself, is a pretty phenom experience. I was in there for a good hour, taking my time, strolling up and down the aisles over and over again, reading every tasting note, and swapping bottles in and out of my cart. An adult field trip that needs to be repeated as soon as humanly possible. I walked out with this and a bottle of 2007 Meia Pipa (cabernet-syrah blend from Portugal) and would've snagged about five other bottles had I not had to schlep them home. But, alas, reason to go back again and again.

Ok, so back to the 2008 Saumur Blanc. This 100% Chenin Blanc, unoaked wine is one of the cleanest, freshest glasses I've had in quite some time. From my Cork'd review...
Honey and orange zest on the nose. Swirling around in my mouth, I was worried it was going to be overwhelmingly sweet but no, this wine is fantastically
balanced. WOW, amazing acidity. Honeysuckle, citrus, serious length! I could
shower in this wine. Smells and tastes like a perfect late spring, early summer
day, sitting in the sunshine and smiling. LOVE.
This wine scored a 93 for my palette. I literally couldn't help but mutter "wow" after every crisp and amazingly bright sip. What's even more fantastic is that this wine is on sale (again, only sold at Astor Wines) for a ridiculously cool $7.99. Which means it's more likely than not that a case order will be placed at some point in the very near future.

If you're in the NYC area, I urge you to make a quick trip (although "quick" is highly unlikely) to Astor Wines & Spirits to pick up a bottle. And get ready for it to rock your face off too.

Buy it online here.

Astor Wines & Spirits
399 Lafayette St. (at East 4th St.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails