Monday, February 1, 2010

battle of the pizzas (and sexes)

I can't think of a better way to spend a below freezing and so windy I had tears streaming down my face kind of night than IN with a great bottle of red and homemade pizzas. Throw a little friendly competition into the mix and you've got the makings for something quite epic.

Although my competitor claimed to have never made pizza before, we turned towards each other (à la a scene in an old Western dual) at Whole Foods to find the exact same ingredients in each other's baskets. I mean, really, what are the odds? Being the incredibly generous, kind, and adaptive person that I am, I allowed him to continue with his original plan as I ditched my mushrooms and headed for the prosciutto. A wedge of Taleggio was tossed into my basket as a threat to his truffle oil.

2007 Vitiano (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sangiovese Blend) to sip while cooking is an absolute necessity. Incidentally, it was also incredibly delicious and from what I hear, a great value. Seek this guy out.

Pizza # 1 getting ready for the oven: base of a white béchamel sauce with lots of black pepper topped with caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, mozzarella, and parmesan.

Pizza # 1 came out of the 450F oven and was topped with arugula, thrown back in for a minute or two, and then was drizzled with truffle oil right before serving.

Pizza # 1 completed.

The dough for pizza # 2 was brushed with garlic oil, thinly sliced white onion and torn pieces of Taleggio. Into the oven it went until the crust was a golden brown and the cheese had melted evenly into a pool of divine and slightly pungent gooey-ness.



Once Pizza # 2 was out of the oven, it was topped with thin slices of Prosciutto, sliced plum tomatoes, baby arugula and a generous drizzle of a balsamic reduction.

Both pizzas were absolutely delicious. I'm still not entirely sure which was more enjoyable: the time spent making them or devouring. Alas, a third party was most definitely needed to come in and play the role of unbiased judge. Which is where you all come in to play. Which pizza reigns supreme? The caramelized onion, mushroom, and arugula with truffle oil and white sauce OR the tallegio and white onion pizza with prosciutto, baby arugula and balsamic reduction drizzle?
Go vote in the comments section!
*A good tip: If and when you're faced with a kitchen with no pizza stone or baking sheet (as we were this weekend), remove one of the racks from the oven and cover it with aluminum foil. A little spritz of cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil and you're good to go. Now you have no excuses. Get on in the kitchen and make your own 'zza!

3 comments:

Ingrid Leess said...

There is no competition here.. they both need each other to complete a perfect matching...
Bechamel for the comfort, and the balsamic for zing... a ying and yang sort of thing!
Yum and Cheers to both!

Sarah said...

This is a really tough match-up. I made pizza's this weekend and it's so nice to see different combo's! I'm definitely going to make BOTH of these next time I'm workin the pizza stone. If i had to make a choice (which is almost next to impossible) I might go with #1 because I can never say no to truffle oil.... however, proscuitto and arugula is another favorite combo. Good competition!

Dan said...

I am going to have to say the tallegio and white onion. Proscuitto is my deal breaker. I could eat it every day, and I LOVE it on pizza.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails