Tuesday, February 2, 2010

shrimp quesadilla with avocado salad

I'm telling you, I really hope this whole exercise regimen thing isn't going to come around and bite me in the behind. Because once I've had a full day of work, dragged my sorry self to the gym, then up the four flights of stairs to get to my apartment, I'm not only dry heaving (alright, slight exaggeration) but ridiculously ravenous.

Last night was no different.

While clocking in time on the treadmill, my thoughts were consumed by two things: "When is Ke$ha's 'Tik Tok' going to come on so I have a sick beat to run to?" and "What in God's name am I going to eat as soon as I get home?!"

Normal, I know. So on my way back to my apartment, I stopped in the corner produce bodega for an avocado, tomato, and red onion. Tonight, I was going south of the border. And fast.

I quickly defrosted some jumbo shrimp (thank you, Costco) and then threw them into a pan with a smashed clove of garlic and a teaspoon of chipotle in adobo. Two, three minutes later they were perfectly pink and just cooked through. I chopped up half the avocado, the plum tomato, and finely sliced half a red onion and tossed it all with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette (although a squeeze of lime juice, a dash of olive oil, and salt and pepper would be just as fab). One side of a whole wheat tortilla was filled with thin slices of a mild white cheddar, and a few shrimp that I halved lengthwise. I then folded the tortilla in half and threw it into the microwave (trust me) for one minute. You could also slip it onto a large pan and cook on both sides until the cheese has completely melted. Transfer it to a plate, top with a generous spoonful of the avocado salad and dive in.

Dinner was thrown together in about 10 minutes. As far as how quickly it was consumed, well, let's just say I'd like to maintain my ladylike street cred. That is, if it even still exists.

Wine Pairing: A crisp, cold glass of Torrontés

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this sounds delicious! perfect for vegetarians like me :)

meleary said...

Love this quick easy meal.. def. one of my favorite go too!

Kiira Leess said...

Thanks for commenting Design Darling and Megan! This is a great go-to meal, totally versatile. Hope you enjoy it :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails