Thursday, February 11, 2010

cork'd tasting: donelan family wines

Me, Gary V., and Arax of Kiss and Type
Whether or not the picture above is printed, framed, and sitting handsomely on my bedside table is regardless, because Tuesday night, Cork'd, Gary Vaynerchuk, and Donelan Family Wines treated us to a fantastically impressive array of wines at the Roger Smith Hotel. One of which, was a barrel sample of their 2008 Walker Vine Hill Vineyard Syrah of which the only other person who had had the pleasure of tasting prior to us, was Mr. Robert Parker Jr. Yep. Kind of a big deal. Which in turn, means that I can now consider myself a pretty big deal in the wine world.

Or, something like that.

It's no secret by now that I've been to my fair share of Cork'd tastings. Can't help myself, frankly. But the wines at this particular tasting showed exceptionally well to my palette (and almost everyone in the room) and had the highest average score to date. And while the first pour, a white, 2008 Donelan Family Venus, didn't really make me sing, the Donelan reds were gorgeous. Not a single one of them scored below a 90 (from me) and my eyes nearly popped out of my head with every sip; explosive yet tamed flavors thanks to seriously talented winemakers. It was an honor and pleasure to get the opportunity to taste through them.

And it didn't hurt that Gary was there, live and in person, at the head of the table giving his two cents. At least for two of his unashamed super fans crushing it to his right.

Major props, once again, to Lindsay and Trout, for a killer and always informative tasting.

5 comments:

Lindsay Ronga said...

I always love reading your two cents from the tastings. As always, well done, Kiira your recounts are just as fun as the tastings themselves. xo. linds

Kiira Leess said...

thanks, linds :)

Tyler said...

Kiira, thanks for you kind comments about the wines. We had a great time with you all. Look us up if you are ever out our way in Sonoma!

bee and jay said...

Might these wine ever make it to Canada??Specifically Toronto.They sound great would love the opportunity of tasting them.

Kiira Leess said...

@bee and jay - i contacted the winery and will let you know as soon as i hear back.

also, there's a possibility i'll be making my way down to vieques mid-april. will y'all be there?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails