Wednesday, February 24, 2010

petite abeille

After sipping (no, gulping is more accurate) on a grassy glass of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, amateur hour was over. It was time for "all-you-can-eat" mussels. Although this wasn't a table of avid nor fierce competitors. Diners with eyes bigger than their stomachs? Perhaps. But when those overflowing pots of steaming hot mussels were presented in front of us followed by a ridiculously large portion of french fries...good God. Holy deliciousness. Creamy and indulgent? Yes. Dipping french fries into said creamy, briny, broth? No brainer. Total Body Conditioning just got bumped up to an obligatory twice a week. But really, that's what it's all about. I'm happy to have my ass handed to me by a slightly flamboyant trainer with a casual attitude problem if it means I can continue to indulge blindly and spontaneously. Quite frankly, it's how I choose to roll.

So these mussels. I so badly want to use expletives in the best way possible but will refrain. They were nearly swollen in size. Tender, juicy, swollen mussels swimming in a slightly thickened broth of salt water liqueur, white wine, cream (oh was there cream), shallots, celery and a whole bunch of fresh thyme (I ordered the Poulette Mussels). Granted I was unabashedly ravenous since I nearly sprinted from gym to shower into god knows what clothes and to restaurant, but I couldn't eat these little morsels of pure delight fast enough. And leisurely dipping my french fries into the gilded broth while sipping my Stella, and I was no longer paying attention to conversation as well as I should have been. I was working on my mussels.


I know "all-you-can-eat" anything sounds less than appetizing to most (myself included) but Petite Abeille sports a dining special almost every night of the week: Monday is 1/2 price Belgian Beer, Tuesday is 1/2 price bottles of wine, Wednesday is all-you-can-eat mussels, and Thursday is Lobster Night. Don't let that scare you. It's a value-driven joint with serious food and a totally relaxed, charming, and comfortable atmosphere. With a couple of locations around the city, this place is not to be missed. Especially for any and all of you mussel lovers out there. I'd been meaning to pop into one of their locations forever and then finally spontenaity called last night and I jumped.
Now it's your turn.
134 W. Broadway (between Duane and Thomas)*
*click on link for other locations
FOOD: 38
SERVICE: 28
LOOK: 17
VIBE: 8
FINAL GRADE: 91

1 comment:

meleary said...

OMG.. I have to go here! Looks amazing! Thanks for the review. Can't wait to try this gem.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails